Re: Kernel Panic~: Rebuild Kernel: miniHOWTO draft .001

Michael Olds wrote:

> Russel...noted and I will do a revision shortly...however I got as far as
> making the package with the --initrd option and managed to control my
> fingers long enough to read the caution about editing lilo at the end...so I
> have not installed my package. I am using ext3, and I am not sure if it was
> you, but someone this morning said I needed to go initrd. But I see my
> current setup using the bf24 kernel does not use initrd (or, at least it is
> not mentioned in lilo.conf and I can't find the image in /boot)(but the new
> kernel is not bf24 it is 2.4.18) But I do remember using it in the setup
> before the most recent install (very confused at this point). I am reading
> round that on a one-box system it shouldn't be needed...I do have SCSI
> support enabled (for scsi emulation) as a module. So the question is: do I
> need it, and if so, how do I go about getting it in there?

read: http://qref.sourceforge.net/Debian/reference/ch-kernel.en.html
it says: mv /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage to /boot/<whatever name>
I have /usr/src/linux as a symlink to /usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.18

I'm using ext3, and you don't need initrd. IIRC, you only need initrd
if your filesystem is a module and not compiled into the kernel, so
at least CramFS needs to be built in if nothing else is. Backup your
HDD. If you get a kernel panic because of lilo, you can usually still
boot in using the downloaded debian rescue disk.