Re: Problem with libc6.

On Sun, Oct 13, 2002 at 05:04:10PM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Marc Monkel <mmonkel@xs4all.nl> [2002-10-13 22:16:18 +0200]:
> > Building Dependency Tree... Done
> > You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these.
> > Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies:
> >   libc6: Depends: libdb1-compat but it is not installable
> >   libc6-dev: Depends: libc6 (= 2.2.5-11.2) but 2.2.5-15 is installed
> >   locales: Depends: glibc-2.2.5-11.2
> >   snort: Depends: libpcap0.7 but it is not installable
> >          Depends: libsnmp4.2 but it is not installed
> >          Depends: snort-rules but it is not installable
> >          Depends: snort-common but it is not installable
> > E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f
>
> Ouch.  Something is strange here.  What does the following command
> show?  I would expect for woody that it should show the following.
[...]
> Are you getting a wildly different version?  Note that I don't see
> libdb1-compat anywhere in this list.  Therefore I suspect that the
> snort you are trying to install is not from the main Debian archive.

libdb1-compat is depended on by testing/unstable's libc6. I suspect it's
merely unstable's snort.

> > If I do "dpkg -s libc6|grep Version" I get:
> > Version: 2.2.5-15
> > Config-Version: 2.2.5-11.2
>
> That is the woody/stable version that we would expect to see.

The Config-Version might be, but the Version is that of unstable's
libc6. It looks like a little bit of unstable has been pulled in by
accident. Fortunately, since it hasn't been configured successfully
(Version != Config-Version), it should be reasonably easy to downgrade.

Cheers,