Re: Problem with libc6.

Marc Monkel <mmonkel@xs4all.nl> [2002-10-13 22:16:18 +0200]:
> I am new to debian, but like to get a router firewall get set up for my home
> network, so I started out with a woody install and got the router and

A stock Woody install.  Excellent.  That is a great version to work
with for this purpose.

> firewall all started, but now I wanted to install snort and I got into some
> trouble. If I do an apt-get upgrade I get the following message.

The 'apt-get upgrade' is for upgrading packages which are currently
installed on the machine with newer versions which exist on the debian
sites.  For something like woody 3.0r0 the base set of packages won't
change.  All of the continuing improvements are going into 'sarge'
which will be a future Debian release.

However, security updates will be posted as they are needed.
Therefore you should install security updates as they become
available.  Also a small number of system improvements and bug fixes
where they make sense will be slipped into the woody updates in
addition to security updates.  So as long as you are running 'woody'
or 'stable' you should not see _too_ much traffic when doing an
apt-get upgrade command.

For installing new packages you want the 'apt-get install' command.
Something like this for snort.

  apt-get install snort

Because of your comment about upgrade I am thinking that might be
related to your problem.  When you do this you should see something
very similar to this output.

    snort-common snort-rules-default
    snort snort-common snort-rules-default
  0 packages upgraded, 3 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0  not upgraded.
  Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

If you see something like it wants to remove or install hundreds of
packages or also libc or something like that then I would diagnose
that as meaning something is wrong with your /etc/apt/sources.list
file.

> I see the versions don't mach but I couldn't find a solution to my problem ?!
>
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these.
> Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies:
>   libc6: Depends: libdb1-compat but it is not installable
>   libc6-dev: Depends: libc6 (= 2.2.5-11.2) but 2.2.5-15 is installed
>   locales: Depends: glibc-2.2.5-11.2
>   snort: Depends: libpcap0.7 but it is not installable
>          Depends: libsnmp4.2 but it is not installed
>          Depends: snort-rules but it is not installable
>          Depends: snort-common but it is not installable
> E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f

Ouch.  Something is strange here.  What does the following command
show?  I would expect for woody that it should show the following.

  apt-cache show snort

  Filename: pool/main/s/snort/snort_1.8.4beta1-2_i386.deb
  Recommends: snort-doc
  Conflicts: snort-mysql, snort-pgsql
  Version: 1.8.4beta1-2
  Depends: debconf (>= 0.2.80), adduser (>= 3.11), syslogd |
  system-log-daemon, libc6 (>= 2.2.4-4), libpcap0 (<< 0.7.0), libpcap0
  (>= 0.6.1-1), snort-common (>=1.8.4beta1), snort-rules

Are you getting a wildly different version?  Note that I don't see
libdb1-compat anywhere in this list.  Therefore I suspect that the
snort you are trying to install is not from the main Debian archive.

> If I do "dpkg -s libc6|grep Version" I get:
> Version: 2.2.5-15
> Config-Version: 2.2.5-11.2

That is the woody/stable version that we would expect to see.

I would next try to diagnose this by looking at the contents of your
/etc/apt/sources.list file and checking that it has only lines similar
to these here listed in it.

  deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib
  deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib
  deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib
  deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib
  deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main

Differences might be different debian archives depending upon your
network location, this is a typical US location.  Differences might be
'woody' instead of 'stable'.  Differences might be additional
'non-free' directories in the above or perhaps not having 'contrib' in
the list.  Those would be okay things.  But I am suspicious that you
have another target there for which snort is getting pulled in from
which is causing your trouble.  The filename in 'show' lists snort as
being in 'main' and therefore you should need no other places in the
list to install it successfully.

I would also check /etc/apt/preferences.  It is also possible that by
pinning to a different archive that you are pulling packages from
different places which are not mixing and matching well together.

Hope this helps
Bob