Re: OT: DNS servers

On Sun, 13 Oct 2002, Elimar Riesebieter wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Oct 2002 the mental interface of
> Mark Carroll told:
>
> > On Sun, 13 Oct 2002, Mike Egglestone wrote:
> >
> > > Would it be unwise to install bind on your own box?
> > > and then set your resolv.conf to
> > > nameserver 127.0.0.1   ???
> >
> > I do exactly that, then all my nameserver config is done in /etc/bind/
> > Seems to work okay.
>
> On a single computer you don't need bind! You will have the same
> problem, because your "single" bind has to forward to an outside DNS
> ;-) So follow the advices of Martin.

Sorry, I was taking the above question as a separate question, not
necessarily relating to the original context. I do specify some of my
ISP's DNS as forwarders to bind, and I use bind because my machine's the
server that looks after the names for the machines on our internal
network, so it's the authoritative server there for a private thing that
isn't in the "world's" domain name system.

-- Mark