Re: more nervous questions on gnome2 update....(gnome2 working bu t problems with window manager)

This one time, at band camp, David Pastern said:
> Which was "pn".  I apt-get installed it, logged out...tried selecting the
> sawfish session from the main login menu and X just hangs.  Killed the X
> server and (out of curiosity) tried metacity and that hung as well.  I would
> have thought it would have been as simple as install window manager, log
> out, log back in, go to the relevant system area and tell gnome2 to use that
> window manager (or load it first and then tell it...).  Am I missing
> something or misunderstanding it?  I've never ventured to try different
> window managers before when i've used gnome (laziness and the attitude "if
> it ain't broke, don't fix it").  Now I want to play around.  I'm going to
> have a read around here, and see what I can dig up, any ideas are
> appreciated.

GNOME2 doesn't do a very good job (IMHO) with wm selction, and in Debian
right now, it defaults to the alternatives system.

update-alternatives --config x-window-manager ; select sawfish ; restart X.

Not as clean as it could be, but then, does KDE even allow a wm choice?

If this fails for you (and it may, although this is the recomended way),
you may have to move some of your .gnome2 files/directories aside and
let them be rebuilt, especially if you've saved your session.  There was
just a long thread on =debian-gtk-gnome about this - check the archives
if you still have difficulties.

HTH,
Steve
--