RE: more nervous questions on gnome2 update....(gnome2 working bu t problems with window manager)

>This one time, at band camp, David Pastern said:
> Okies, think it's all done...this is the output of dpkg -l | grep gnome2
<snip long list of packages>

<The libraries are needed for applications that haven't been recompiled
<for GNOME2 - don't try to remove them.
<snip to be nice to the debian servers>
<The text change is a normal side effect (^8.
<If everything seem to work OK, I'd say welcome to GNOME2!
<HTH,
<Steve

Thanks Steve.  Gnome 2 is working well, I have other issues (default is twm
window manager) which doesn't do much for me personally.  I find it awkward
to use (but it does work perfectly).  Going thru the system menus, I note
that no other window managers are installed according to Gnome2.  I couldn't
see a way to add new window managers...and I was under the impression that a
default gnome install had several window managers installed with it...So...I
did:

dpkg -l sawfish

Which was "pn".  I apt-get installed it, logged out...tried selecting the
sawfish session from the main login menu and X just hangs.  Killed the X
server and (out of curiosity) tried metacity and that hung as well.  I would
have thought it would have been as simple as install window manager, log
out, log back in, go to the relevant system area and tell gnome2 to use that
window manager (or load it first and then tell it...).  Am I missing
something or misunderstanding it?  I've never ventured to try different
window managers before when i've used gnome (laziness and the attitude "if
it ain't broke, don't fix it").  Now I want to play around.  I'm going to
have a read around here, and see what I can dig up, any ideas are
appreciated.

Dave