Re: virus killers?

On Sat, Oct 12, 2002 at 02:35:02PM -0500, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
> It's somewhat similar to thinking that just because you might happen
> to live in a neighborhood/city with little to no crime that there is
> no need to lock your house when you leave.

This is probably going to be a really Portland[1] response, but the lock
is that round, brass thing above my doorknob, right?  8:o)

> IP traffic:
> I've seen very little (even in the MS sector) that is capable of
> adequately scanning IP traffic routed through the system.  So, I doubt
> there is much available in the Linux (or other Unix variant) area.

I think this would be incredably difficult to impliment, as you'd have
to examine raw packets.  The processor time used would be incredable,
as would be the lag introduced by the process.  It would certainly
kill your ping times in UT.

I think one thing, overall, that makes virus scanning on behalf of
Windows users under Debian is that every virus package Debian has is
confusing and difficult to configure.  At least MTA's have nice config
utils on dpkg --install...

[1] Well, except most Northeast and North sector neighborhoods,
notably excepting Alameda.

--
Baloo