solution to problems with local fonts

for the benefit of others, I thought I would write up what worked for me.

how to get antialiased truetype fonts in gnome2 and kde3.

apt-get install msttcorefonts
check XF86Config-4 and XftConfig for "/usr/share/fonts/truetype" entries.

kde3 should have antialiased fonts now.

for gnome2 however, you will need to add "export GDK_USE_XFT=1" to
/etc/gdm/Session/Gnome (assuming you use gdm).

how to add additional truetype fonts to your system.

pick a directory, like /usr/local/fonts and dump some truetype fonts into it.
ttmkfdir > fonts.scale
cp fonts.scale fonts.dir (this might not be needed or correct).
add a "/usr/local/fonts" entry to both XF86Config-4 and XftConfig.

Things will be slightly different if you use a font server.

for more, see:
http://www.paulandlesley.org/linux/xfree4_tt.html
http://www.xfce.org/Xft_and_Xfce_mini_Howto.html

-jason pepas