Re: Kernel Panic was: System is too Big; son of make menuconfig

On Sat, 12 Oct 2002 14:24:31 -0700
Michael Olds <MikeOlds@pacbell.net> wrote:

> > ...root fs not mounted
> > VFS: Cannot open root device "307" or 03:07
> > Please append a correct "Root=" boot option
> > Kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root FS on 03:07
>
> IMHO this means, that it wants to mount /dev/hda7 as root FS but
> can't find it. 03 is the major number of the device and 07 the
> minor number. This is /dev/hda7.

Or possibly an unsupported filesystem. If your kernel has ext3 or
reisferfs as a module and the root filesystem is of this type, then unless
you have an initrd (initial ram disk) file to provide the module you will
be in big trouble.

Options in this case (1) make a suitable initrd, (2) compile the
filesystem into the kernel.

James

--
James Tappin,             O__      "I forget the punishment for using
james@tappin.me.uk       --  \/`    Microsoft --- Something lingering