Re: Kernel Panic was: System is too Big; son of make menuconfig

Hi,

Am Samstag, 12. Oktober 2002 19:05 schrieb Michael Olds:
> OK, now I've done it!
>
> I followed the instructions below and everything seemed to go
> without problems. I installed the new kernel package also without
> problems (it did seem to go very fast?) and then made a floppy
> disk and then rebooted to end up on a frozen screen ending with
>
> ...root fs not mounted
> VFS: Cannot open root device "307" or 03:07
> Please append a correct "Root=" boot option
> Kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root FS on 03:07

IMHO this means, that it wants to mount /dev/hda7 as root FS but
can't find it. 03 is the major number of the device and 07 the
minor number. This is /dev/hda7.

> To what do I append the correct "Root="? (I believe this should
> be Root=/dev/hda7 (the root partition?), and how? ctrl+alt+del
> does not start reboot

If you are using lilo as boot loader you can hit SHIFT when he
prompt LILO on screen. This should open an line, where you can
insert boot options. Normaly you can also choose your old system.

> Best Wishes!
> Mike Olds www.buddhadust.org

Hope this helps,
Torsten