Re: postfix + cyrus-sasl2 smtpd auth failed!!!

On Fri, 2002-10-11 at 00:43, asho wrote:
> hi...every debian users
>
> Some days ago , I set up my mail server with postfix + sasl2.
>
> I can easily use them with the sasldb methond.
>
> Yet now I want to use the other method such as the getpwent or shadow.

I found the following instructions for allowing sasldb (which I was
unable to get working in the past):

http://killyridols.net/postfixtlssmtpauth.shtml

I found an old thread in the debian-user archives which said the
following:

----------------cut-----------------------

On Fri, Jun 29, 2001 at 11:55:23AM -0400, Kevin J. Menard, Jr. wrote:
> Hey guys,
> >     Anyone here have all this working together?  I apt-get'ed the
source for
>     postfix and altered the debian/rules file to add SASL support for
SMTP auth.
>     The build went fine, but it apparently always tries to use the
sasldb, even
>     though I set up my /usr/lib/sasl/smtpd.conf file to use PAM as the
>     pwcheck_method.  Anyone know what gives?

[telchar:~] 6:34:50am 111 % cat /usr/lib/sasl/smtpd.conf
pwcheck_method: PAM
auto_transition: false

Works fine for me (on a couple machines).  There are a couple tricks:
first, you have to make sure that smtpd isn't chrooted (see master.cf).
Then you have to ensure that postfix can verify passwords (I added
postfix to the 'shadow' group).

I am still unable to get it working with PAM.  I tried moving the shadow
file into the chroot, and I tried setting it not to chroot.  I have
attempted AUTH types LOGIN and PLAIN..

As a side note, I'm also unable to get TLS/SSL working with the
instructions from the above link.. I generated a cert and set postfix to
use it, but attempts at connecting over SSL simply time out.

Cheers,

-Justin