Re: Printing

This one time, at band camp, lameth said:
> Russell wrote:
>
> >lameth wrote:
> >

> >>Okay I've installed cupsys and cupsys-gimp-print. I pointed my browser
> >>to http://localhost:631 and set up my epson color stylus 600. When I
> >>print a test page it prints beautifully. My problem is none of my
> >>programs can use the printer. All of them want to print to lpr or in the
> >>case of mozilla, Postscript/default. When I try to print anythiing
> >>nothing happens.
> >>
> >>I tried lpoptions -d epson (which is what I named my printer). Is there
> >>a dpkg-reconfigure <whatever> that will do a system wide configuration
> >>for all my programs to us the printer I just installed?

<snip - config files look fine>

Two things:

steve:~$ dpkg -S /usr/bin/lpr
cupsys-bsd: /usr/bin/lpr

do you have cupsys-bsd installed?

steve:~$ ls -l /etc/printcap*
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           18 Sep 28 21:15 /etc/printcap -> /etc/printcap.cups
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          136 Oct 11 16:08 /etc/printcap.cups

Most programs read their printer options from /etc/printcap.  If you
want them to live nicely with CUPS, the above works well.

HTH,
Steve
--
BOFH excuse #142:

new guy cross-connected phone lines with ac power bus.