Re: a good argument for ext3 or reiserfs

jeff wrote:

> i'm considering converting my current ext2 file system on my nice debian
> box. could i get some feedback from the list? i have read through some
> manuals and how-to's but i would like to hear personal experience on
> what you think might be better or maybe faster or whathaveyou.
>
> 1) my box is just a home internet station... which would be 'better' in
> your opinion.
>
> 2) what's a good url for ext3 how-to
>
> 3) what's a good url for resierfs how-to
>
> much appreciated list. i know you won't let me down.  :-)

http://www.zip.com.au/~akpm/linux/ext3/ext3-usage.html
http://www.symonds.net/~rajesh/howto/ext3/ext3-5.html

All i did for my ext2 was:

    tune2fs -j /dev/hdXX

then change any ext2 to ext3 in /etc/fstab

I think there are ext3 and reiserfs options in the
kernel config too. Backup your data first.

Ext3 is supposed to be much more crash proof. I've had to reboot
a few times and haven't had any corruption (kernel 2.4.18).