Re: The only thing I miss about Windows

nate wrote:

ACK. I *HATED* when people did this. Taking a screenshot, a perfectly
normal graphics file and shoving it into a word document! Is it so
hard for people to paste it into Paint and save it as a BMP ? then
use IE to convert it to JPG?

I was keeping a detailed log that happened to contain pictures. It really helped
me understand the progress I had made.

as for how to do this on linux it really depends on what desktop your
using. for example, I use afterstep 1.6. and at the top left of each
window there are 2 buttons, the one on the left side is a "next window"
button for swapping windows(I never use it except on accident), the
one on the right has several useful options:

Take a windowshot(captures current window only)
take a screenshot(captures full screen)
move
- to desk #0
- to desk #1
- to desk #2
- to desk #3
resize
to foreground
to background
Maximize 100%
Maximize 80%
kill
quit
redraw

real handy set of tools, though I only use the windowshot/screenshot and kill
features.

as another noted you can use xwd to do this(this is what afterstep calls to do
the screenshot). then open up gimp or something to convert it to your favorite
file format. if your in KDE, there used to be an app called kscreenshot I
think it was which was specifically designed for screenshots. Also "xv" has a
screenshot feature which can automatically save in various formats. I think
gimp itself even has a screenshot feature.

nate

OK, I'll have a look.

Issac