Re: Why is apt trying to install packages from Sarge ?

Arrgh I should have RTFM suddenly its all clear, the numbers used when
pinning are not just sequential ie just giving stabel testing and
unstable numbers in the order higher -> lower will  not work. They are
in bands or ranges and different ranges meean different things, for
eample one range means never install unless package is unavailable
anywhere else !

So for the search engines in case anyone else has the same issue.

If you wnat to be able to selectively choose packages from testing and
unstable but pin your distribution to stable by default then your
preferences should look something like this but I do suggest you RTFM as
there is a lot you can tweak here:

Package: *
Pin: release a=stable
Pin-Priority: 970