Make applications remember their positions and sizes

I am tired of having to redimension abiword Xemacs and the like each
time I run them. I know I can specify the applications to start
maximized using Window Maker but that is not enough flexible for me.
I used to modify the .XResources, but I was wondering if there was some
kind of easier way built-in Gnome, so that these settings get
automatically kept for each application.

Is there something like that available?

Jerome