Re: ntpdate no longer works with domain converted to W2K

Kent West said:

> I don't know. My Windows System Admin says that Active Directory uses
> ntp (and he questions whether Linux uses that or some other protocol),
> but since my Debian box stopped working with it, I was just wondering if
> Microsoft's ntp is just a tad tainted, like so many of their other
> "industry standard" protocols.

keep in mind there are several different ways to get time over the
network(not sure if they are all network time or not). On win32
I think I used to use an app called "atomachron" or something. it
was a free app, and worked well. but it was always a pain trying
to figure out what protocol to use(it had an option of 3-4-5 different
ones, I think all were different versions of NTP), then to decide
whether or not to use tcp or udp for the connection and then the
port. Eventually I learned to document what the specific configuration
was after having to do guesswork on half dozen different systems.

even on ntpdate, on some systems I have to do ntpdate -o 4 <ntpserver>
otherwise ntpdate spits back 'no suitable servers found for synchronization'

i think you can also synch against the 'time' service(called from
inetd/xinetd) instead of a specific time server(I did this for a long
time when I didn't feel like configuring ntpd), it works too but
requires a slightly different configuration(different port/protocol
version I think)

nate