Re: ntpdate no longer works with domain converted to W2K

Jeremy Turner wrote:
On Mon, 2002-09-09 at 17:34, Kent West wrote:

I've been using ntpdate to set the clock on my Woody box for some time, but recently our MS-oriented Administrator updated our PDC and BDC domain controllers to Windows 2000 in order to implement Active Directory. Today I noticed that ntpdate no longer works when pointing to our (MS-Windows) ntp time server. If I point it to a Solaris time server, no problem. A WinXP machine I just tested on is able to get the time from our ntp time server.

So my question; does anyone know if Microsoft has thrown something into W2K/XP/ActiveDirectory to break ntp services to non-MS clients?

Thanks!

Kent

Hi Kent,

I'm going back through my archives of debian-user and found your post
with no public replies.

I use ntpdate on Woody pointed at a Windows 2000 Server box (acting as a
Domain Controller) and it pulls the time okay.  I wonder if there's an
extra service that you might need to enable on the Win2k box?

Jeremy

I don't know. My Windows System Admin says that Active Directory uses ntp (and he questions whether Linux uses that or some other protocol), but since my Debian box stopped working with it, I was just wondering if Microsoft's ntp is just a tad tainted, like so many of their other "industry standard" protocols.

At any rate, it's only an academic question, as I've pointed my Debian box to a Solaris ntp server instead of the "official" campus Windows-based server, and that satisfies my immediate need.

Thanks for the response!

Kent