Re: official debian cds

Bruce Park wrote:

Hello,

Can anyone tell me which cds I should download if I want to install gnome with workstation like environment? I know that there are seven cds including the non-us but I've read that you really don't need to download more the third cd.

bp

*I notice all the CDs are bootable. Is there any difference between the bootable parts of the individual CDs?*

Yes, although this is only the case for the i386 architecture. For other architectures, only the first CD is bootable (except for arm <http://www.debian.org/ports/arm/>, where /none/ is).

Some hardware configurations of IBM compatible PCs require Linux kernels with special options enabled or patches applied. For this reason, the CDs contain several different kernels:

   * binary-1: *multiboot*. This CD offers you a choice between all
     available kernels, so unless you happen to have one of the very
     few machines on which the multiboot feature does not work, you
     should boot from this CD.
   * binary-2: *vanilla*. A 2.2 kernel with many drivers for older
     hardware (such as ISA-based systems) and USB support.
   * binary-3: *compact*. A 2.2 kernel with PCI SCSI and IDE drivers.
   * binary-4: *idepci*. A one-size-fits-all 2.2 kernel which should
     work on most machines. This is also booted by default if you just
     press Return at the prompt of the multiboot (binary-1) CD.
   * binary-5: *bf2.4*. A 2.4 kernel with ext3 and ReiserFS support.
     You should choose this kernel if your hardware is recent, e.g. you
     are using a USB keyboard.

The kernels correspond to the different disk images on the FTP server for stable <ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/disks-i386/> and testing <ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/disks-i386/>. In case your system cannot boot from CD at all, it is also possible to write the kernel to floppy disc <http://www.debian.org/distrib/floppyinst> and boot from there.

http://www.debian.org/CD/http-ftp/

http://www.linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=4