Re: floppy sized packages

On Wed, 2002-10-09 at 13:41, Seneca wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 11:56:18AM +0200, Claudio Bley wrote:
> > On Wed, 2002-10-09 at 11:27, Karl E. Jorgensen wrote:
> > > What about zip archives that span disks? You won't get much compression
> > > (if any) out of it, but...
> > >
> > > PS: never used XP, but zip has been able to do this for quite a while
> > > (at least since 2.04g in the bad old DOS days)
> >
> > AFAIK, disc spanning only works when all files in the zip archive are
> > smaller than the space on the medium you want to transfer it to. The
> > files in the archive are just distributed over several floppies then,
> > but without splitting them apart.
>
> Back when I had a FAT16 partition (hda1, ~100M) on my laptop and I
> couldn't access the network with that system (borked NIC), I copied
> pkzip onto that partition, and booted with an old DOS floppy. pkzip
> could split over disks, mid-file, and properly reattach them at the
> other end. I'm not sure if unzip could handle them properly, though.

Yes, you're right. It seems pkzip is able to produce splitted archives.
I was using WinZip back in these days - and it wasn't possible to do
that (or I simply overlooked something). At least it isn't possible
using zipsplit. So, I doubt that unzip can handle those files properly
then, but one may install pkzip for linux in that case.

Anyway, thanks for correcting me.

--
Claudio Bley                                 ASCII ribbon campaign (")
Debian GNU/Linux advocate                     - against HTML email  X