Re: floppy sized packages

On Wed, 2002-10-09 at 13:41, Seneca wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 11:56:18AM +0200, Claudio Bley wrote:
> > On Wed, 2002-10-09 at 11:27, Karl E. Jorgensen wrote:
> > > What about zip archives that span disks? You won't get much compression
> > > (if any) out of it, but...
> > >
> > > PS: never used XP, but zip has been able to do this for quite a while
> > > (at least since 2.04g in the bad old DOS days)
> >
> > AFAIK, disc spanning only works when all files in the zip archive are
> > smaller than the space on the medium you want to transfer it to. The
> > files in the archive are just distributed over several floppies then,
> > but without splitting them apart.
> Back when I had a FAT16 partition (hda1, ~100M) on my laptop and I
> couldn't access the network with that system (borked NIC), I copied
> pkzip onto that partition, and booted with an old DOS floppy. pkzip
> could split over disks, mid-file, and properly reattach them at the
> other end. I'm not sure if unzip could handle them properly, though.

Yes, you're right. It seems pkzip is able to produce splitted archives.
I was using WinZip back in these days - and it wasn't possible to do
that (or I simply overlooked something). At least it isn't possible
using zipsplit. So, I doubt that unzip can handle those files properly
then, but one may install pkzip for linux in that case.

Anyway, thanks for correcting me.

Claudio Bley                                 ASCII ribbon campaign (")
Debian GNU/Linux advocate                     - against HTML email  X
http://www.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/~bley/                     & vCards / \