Re: Email virus scan questions

On Wed, 9 Oct 2002 10:32:09 +0200
martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> wrote:

> also sprach Gerald Livingston <gvl2@sysmatrix.net> [2002.10.08.2206
> +0200]:
> > I had looked at amavis-exim -- amavis-ng looks better. What about
> > sanitizer whose description touts the ability to disable
> > javascript/vbscript in incoming email? Will it integrate with
> > amavis-ng+other scanner?
>
> Yes, but my experience was that amavis suffices. I use
>
>   smtp:  postfix -> amavis -> postfix -> local
>
> but the sanitizer is really not that great, at least I can't put it to
> good use. it does its job, but it also prevents users from doing legit
> things at times. windoze is just not deterministic.

Thanks,

Right now I seem to have properly operational for my own email the
following:

fetchmail -> exim -> local
courier IMAP) | fallthrough to /var/mail/username (not finished with
.procmailrc)

All of my email goes to remote POP3 accounts. I prefer the reliability
of mail addresses on dedicated mail servers not attached to a dchp cable
modem. I have several different email addresses used for different
lists/purposes.

The win users who will be served by my local machine have the same setup
-- mail delivered to a remote address that will be delivered here via
fetchmail. They are my mother and brother who wouldn't know the
difference between html/vbscript/javascript and who barely understand
the basics of email period (I have managed to vociferously deter them
from the dreaded winuser habit of automatically hitting "forward" on
every message that suggests it should be "forwarded to everyone you
know"!)

I'll be setting up all the filters on this box. I'll create a "junk"
folder for each of them and have all "rejected" messages (rejected by
spamassassin/sanitizer -- not the AV suite) delivered there for review.
If they spot one that shouldn't have been tossed I'll see if I can
correct the behaviour of the filter.

I have one of my addresses that I use to get info from a website or
three and it gets loaded with spam daily (all "cleverly disguised" as
opt-in mail of course). I can use that address to test a few filters.

gvl2 (Gerald)
AirBall the Rolling Basket Case (1969 Standard Beetle)
LifeSaver (1974 Bay Window Bus)
http://www.phorce1.com