Re: apt questions

On Tuesday 08 October 2002 12:36, Bruce Park wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm a newbie in this debian world so please be patient with me.
> I'm trying to undestand everything about debian before I can install them
> and I was hoping that some one can answer my question.
> It seems that debian has three ways to install packages.
> 1) dpkg
> 2) apt
> 3) dselect
>
> My question is, when I first install the debian system, it scanned several
> cds to update it's database for apt. If I start using apt, will it know
> which cd to get the packages from? Will it also take care of any
> dependencies that it may have? For example, if I installed the apache
> webserver or the gnome desktop, will it install the appropritate packages
> that it needs for it to run?

dpkg is the underlying package interface.  Everything else calls it.  apt is a
program which knows where packages are and how to get them.  dselect is a
visual representation of the package list and also provides an easier way to
handle depends/conflicts/etc.  It uses apt for the downloading/retrieving and
apt in turn uses dpkg to actually install the software.

As long as the cd is listed in /etc/apt/sources.list and you run
'apt-get update' apt should be able to install off of the cd and to ensure the
proper depends are installed and handled.