Re: "unhandled exception" running Wordperfect on Woody??

Bruce Best (CRO) was roused into action on 2002-10-08 09:41 and wrote:
I am running Debian Woody (with a sprinkling of sid), w. XFree86 4.2, KE
3.0.3, and am trying to get Wordperfect Office 2000 Deluxe for Linux
working. Whenvever I try to start one of the office apps (wordperfect,
quattropro, etc.), I get the following errors:

[snip]

WordPerfect Office 2000 was primarily designed to run on Corel Linux v.2,
which was based (I believe) on either slink or potato (or a mixture of the
two). I am guessing the above problem has to do with WP expecting certain
older libs that are not present?? I tried installing a few likely candidates
from /oldlibs, but nothing working yet....

Therea are a few updates that I have installed, including the updated libaps
from Corel, and an  updated corelwine-cvs file available on
http://students.cs.byu.edu/~torriem/corelwine/, but the above problem
persists.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to get this working?? Pls. cc. me on
any responses, as I am not on the list -thanks.

What does the XF86Config-4 file look like? Specifically the section dealing with fontpaths... do you have this line in there;
FontPath   "tcp/127.0.0.1:7102"

I can't remember why I had to do this anymore, I just did. This was on a Corel newsgroup quite some time ago.

Ok, googling turned up this:
http://www.linuxworld.com/linuxworld/lw-2000-04/lw-04-penguin_2.html

Next, how did you install it? With the script or manually through apt-get after updating sources.list? The latter, as you might imagine, seems to work better.

Before it is mentioned, yes, I'd rather not be using a discontinued
commercial application at all, but I am setting this machine up for my
mother, who has a considerable amount of ongoing work that must be done in
Wordperfect. I will probably set up WP8 in the interim, but WPO2000 is much
nicer to work with (when it works).

I hope she's got a fast machine with lots of memory...

--
David P. James
4th Year Economics Student

The bureaucratic mentality is the only constant in the universe.
-Dr. Leonard McCoy, Star Trek IV