Re: tiny mouse howto update - console gpm, X and mouse wheel

Thanks for your review.  It is a good one. ;-)

On Tue, Oct 08, 2002 at 01:51:09AM +0200, Carel Fellinger wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 06, 2002 at 06:03:58PM -0700, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> > 1. imps2 issue
> >
> > Is "imps2" really needed for woody gpm?  Woody gpm default seems to
> > have moved to "autops2".  I thought autops2 will take care both.
>
> IIRC I had problems with autops and some mice I have, be it a Logitech
> Mouse Man Wheel, or the simpler wheel version.

It is "autops2".  I checked source and this is debian patch.
(My current vwersion is wrong using "ps2auto" in my current document
agno@AI.SRI.COM pointed me about this.)

> > FYI:"gpm -t help|less" command in woody/sarge should provide.
> In comming versions or right now?
> On my Woody machine the order differs, and there is a bonus fuimps2.

Yes, order is my edit (For making it easy to read...  was my
intention...)

woody/sarge/sid are in the same binary version

> > 2. What do you think of Debian Reference description?
> >
> >     http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/
> >     Chapter 3.3 Mouse configuration
>
> I had a hard time reading this, and only when I switched from links to

???
How many chars per line do you use?  I use 80char/line and fine.

> galeon things started to make sense, partly because it now fitted on
> one screen but mainly cause I read Dale's suggestion that folded the
> two variations showing the one and only difference clearly.  Much more
> to my liking:)  Besides, I myself would try to persuede people to use
> "repeat_type=raw", so that one unfoldable line would read:
>
>    repeat_type=raw   (or ms3)

I have both presented.  That was my intent of table.

> And then I would spent a line explaining that value for `type' (in
> /etc/gpm.conf) and `Protocol' (in X11's config file) depend on the
> brand and model of the mouse in use.
>

> One other thing I noted: just below in that section 3.3, it says:
>
>   Create a symlink /dev/gpmdata --> /dev/mouse to make some
Correct way must have been:
    Create a symlink /dev/mouse -> /dev/gpmdata to make some

This is a good point since:
prw-r--r--    1 root     root            0 Oct  6 23:19 /dev/gpmdata
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            7 Dec 23  2001 /dev/mouse -> gpmdata

I need to check symlink descriptions in my document.

> To me it looks as if the symlink is reversed.

Yes it does.

Thanks again for the review.

+  Osamu Aoki <debian@aokiconsulting.com> @ Cupertino, CA USA         +