Re: tiny mouse howto update - console gpm, X and mouse wheel

On Sun, Oct 06, 2002 at 06:03:58PM -0700, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am going over ML for the next "Debian Reference" over the mouse
> configuration.
>
> I found a thread with your names quite interesting.  In order to refresh
> all, I put all participants in TO list.  Excuse me.
>
> I have 3 questions:
>
> 1. imps2 issue
>
> Is "imps2" really needed for woody gpm?  Woody gpm default seems to
> have moved to "autops2".  I thought autops2 will take care both.

IIRC I had problems with autops and some mice I have, be it a Logitech
Mouse Man Wheel, or the simpler wheel version.

> FYI:"gpm -t help|less" command in woody/sarge should provide.

In comming versions or right now?
On my Woody machine the order differs, and there is a bonus fuimps2.

> 2. What do you think of Debian Reference description?
>
>     http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/
>     Chapter 3.3 Mouse configuration

I had a hard time reading this, and only when I switched from links to
galeon things started to make sense, partly because it now fitted on
one screen but mainly cause I read Dale's suggestion that folded the
two variations showing the one and only difference clearly.  Much more
to my liking:)  Besides, I myself would try to persuede people to use
"repeat_type=raw", so that one unfoldable line would read:

   repeat_type=raw   (or ms3)

And then I would spent a line explaining that value for `type' (in
/etc/gpm.conf) and `Protocol' (in X11's config file) depend on the
brand and model of the mouse in use.

One other thing I noted: just below in that section 3.3, it says:

  Create a symlink /dev/gpmdata --> /dev/mouse to make some

To me it looks as if the symlink is reversed.

> 3. Was timothy bauscher"s problem typo?

don't remember

--
groetjes, carel