Re: A question about X 4.2.1-1

On Tue, 2002-10-08 at 01:47, Seneca wrote:
> I just upgraded from X 4.1.0-17 to 4.2.1-1. After the upgrade, I had to
> remove my .xsession file in order for startx (or logging in with xdm) to
> work. Is this a bug with X, or is there some other file (or syntax) that
> I should use instead?
>
> My (former) .xsession:
>
>   gom -G &

~/.xsession should not return until you want to end the X session and
shutdown the X server.

+++++++++++++
#!/bin/sh

# redirect all output to my error file
exec &> ${HOME}/.xsession-errors

# start up some apps here
wmmon -s & wmmon &
desklaunch &
x-terminal-emulator -T 'Login Shell' -ls &

# start the window manager
exec fluxbox

AFAIK, it always has been like that - and I'm still using XFree86 4.1.0
on sarge. So, I really don't know why it worked for you before. See 'man
Xsession', "DEFAULT STARTUP PROCEDURE", Step 3). Maybe your .xsession
file never got run before?

--
Claudio Bley                                 ASCII ribbon campaign (")
Debian GNU/Linux advocate                     - against HTML email  X