Re: A question about X 4.2.1-1

On Tue, 2002-10-08 at 01:47, Seneca wrote:
> I just upgraded from X 4.1.0-17 to 4.2.1-1. After the upgrade, I had to
> remove my .xsession file in order for startx (or logging in with xdm) to
> work. Is this a bug with X, or is there some other file (or syntax) that
> I should use instead?
> My (former) .xsession:
>   gom -G &

~/.xsession should not return until you want to end the X session and
shutdown the X server.

# redirect all output to my error file
exec &> ${HOME}/.xsession-errors

# start up some apps here
wmmon -s & wmmon &
desklaunch &
x-terminal-emulator -T 'Login Shell' -ls &

# start the window manager
exec fluxbox

AFAIK, it always has been like that - and I'm still using XFree86 4.1.0
on sarge. So, I really don't know why it worked for you before. See 'man
Xsession', "DEFAULT STARTUP PROCEDURE", Step 3). Maybe your .xsession
file never got run before?

Claudio Bley                                 ASCII ribbon campaign (")
Debian GNU/Linux advocate                     - against HTML email  X
http://www.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/~bley/                     & vCards / \