Re: Uninstalling Exim uninstalls Apache

On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 03:17:09PM -0700, Michael Olds wrote:
> Before I break down and ask for help again setting up email which I have
> thoroughly messed up once more...can someone explain to me why when I
> uninstall exim apache also gets uninstalled?

apache depends on logrotate which depends on cron which recommends a
mail-transport-agent (of which exim is one). If you're trying to remove
exim in order to replace it with a different MTA, just install the other
MTA and exim will automatically be removed. If not, well, honestly you'd
be better off leaving some kind of MTA there, even if it's only there to
forward mail on somewhere else. Maybe if you tell us a bit more about
your requirements someone can help.

Cheers,