Re: using xpdf to open pdf files from galeon

On Mon, 2002-10-07 at 17:13, Shri Shrikumar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone point me in the right direction to be able to open pdf files
> directly from galeon using xpdf instead of the default(gv) because the
> default just shows a blank page.
>
> I installed plugger at some point. Here is the relevant part from
> /etc/pluggerrc-4.0
>
> application/pdf: pdf: PDF file
> application/x-pdf: pdf: PDF file
> text/pdf: pdf: PDF file
> text/x-pdf: pdf: PDF file
> #       repeat swallow(documentShell) fill: acroread -geometry
> +9000+9000 -xrm '*userFrontEndProgram: FALSE' "$file"
> #       repeat swallow(gv) fill: gv -safer -quiet -antialias -geometry
> +9000+9000 "$file" 2>/dev/null
>         repeat swallow(xpdf) fill: xpdf -g +9000+9000 -err "$file"
>

> In the Settings->Preferences->Handlers->MIME Types section in Galeon,
> there seems to be three settings for pdf as below
>
> application/pdf    	Run with helper		xpdf -q %s	True
> text/pdf		Ask the User		none		False
> text/x-pdf		Ask the user		none		False
>
> How would I even go about troubleshooting this - How can I find out what
> application is being used or even what type Galeon thinks the file is. I
> have tried

Have a look at the 'about:plugins' page in galeon. Is the plugger plugin
listed? Are the appropriate mime-types listed and enabled?

I'm not sure which setting gets the higher priority - so, I would try to
remove all the settings regarding pdf documents in galeon.

Last but not least, xpdf does not support an -err switch, remove that in
pluggerrc-4.0 or replace it with -q.

HTH
--
Claudio Bley                                 ASCII ribbon campaign (")
Debian GNU/Linux advocate                     - against HTML email  X