Re: Locale and date/time settings

Colin Watson was roused into action on 2002-10-07 12:01 and wrote:
On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 11:06:31AM -0400, David P James wrote:

I did this, and the right format is used, but unfortunately the '-'s were replaced by other characters. This is somewhat frustrating; for starters, why is the default date format on the 'internationalist' Debian OS the illogical US standard?

There's nothing we can do about it: it's how the C locale is defined.

And second, why is there no easy-to-use ISO format date? Right now I'm
using the German standard, which is better than what I had, but still
not what I want.

There's en_DK, which despite being a "joke invention"
(http://www.xfree86.org/pipermail/i18n/2001-April/001727.html) seems to
produce what you want.

Thank you Colin. Sorry if I sounded a bit terse earlier; I had just gone through the process of generating half a dozen or so different locales with none of them turning out to use the ISO format. I had begun to wonder what en_DK was though, as I could figure out most of the rest (I knew DK was Denmark but English_Denmark didn't seem to make any sense).

--
David P. James
4th Year Economics Student

The bureaucratic mentality is the only constant in the universe.
-Dr. Leonard McCoy, Star Trek IV