Re: Locale and date/time settings

Osamu Aoki was roused into action on 07.10.2002 03:29 and wrote:
On Sat, Oct 05, 2002 at 11:33:27PM -0400, David P James wrote:

Does anyone happen to know which locale to set for date/time to get a date in the following format?
yyyy/mm/dd or yyyy-mm-dd

Or, if no such locale exists, then is it possible to generate one?

 $  LC_TIME=ja_JP ls -l
 drwxr-xr-x    4 nospam   nospam       4096 2002-08-29 10:28 zlib-1.1.4

 You need to generate ja_JP locale, though.

I did this, and the right format is used, but unfortunately the '-'s were replaced by other characters. This is somewhat frustrating; for starters, why is the default date format on the 'internationalist' Debian OS the illogical US standard? And second, why is there no easy-to-use ISO format date? Right now I'm using the German standard, which is better than what I had, but still not what I want.

--
David P. James
4th Year Economics Student

The bureaucratic mentality is the only constant in the universe.
-Dr. Leonard McCoy, Star Trek IV