Re: A ? for all you old time linux users

Chris Cioffi wrote:
> That said, I'm considering doing some benchmarks with OpenSSL.  I keep
> hearing that _maybe_ compiling OpenSSL for you specific platform will
> have Big Performance Yeilds(tm).  Though actually putting that idea into
> production will have to wait until my systems are so loaded that might
> make a difference.

Yes it really does. The openssl in unstable includes optimized libraries
for serveral processors that really speed them up, as much as 2x in some
cases. This is a good example of heavy number crunching code that can
use compile-time optimization (and ls is not .. ;-).

A little-known fact is that linux's linker makes it very easy to produce
optimized little libraries (which can contain only the tight loop that
really needs optimization in an application, for instance), drop them in
an appropriate /usr/lib/<cpuname> directory and have the best one be
picked automatically at program run (well, link) time. This makes it a
lot more practical to do per-processor optimizations on binary
distributions like debian.

--
see shy jo