A ? for all you old time linux users

I remember reading that most experienced linux users believe that programs run best if you download the source code and compile the code on your own machine. Is this true, do programs you compile on your own machine run best? Or is it just a matter of knowing the program and your computer a little better for having gone through the process of compilation?

If a person were to use the .src code for Debian packages and compiles them into binaries then installs the packages would you get the same effect?

The reason I ask is because I think I'd really like to doing that. Not from the ground up since I finally got debian to work on my computer. What I'm thinking of doing is this; After I've used and learned a little about linux, replacing the kernel and all the programs I use with ones I've compiled from source code myself. That way it would be a gradual transition from cdrom based installation to a natively compiled system. Is this feasible?

All opinion and viewpoints are welcome and eagerly sought
TIA