Re: postfix: very long startup time (few minutes)

-- Erik Steffl <steffl@bigfoot.com> wrote
(on Sunday, 06 October 2002, 08:43 PM -0700):
>   for some reason the postfix thatkes a LONG time to startup (during
> boot). any ideas why? It seems like it's getting worse over time.
>
>   this is on debian unstable.
I've used postfix on unstable and testing, and don't see this.

>   I don't have too many emails and I am not aware of any long queues
> waiting, this is on my personal workstation, I get few hundred emails a
> day (mostly mailing lists), send only few emails a day and normal
> operation of computer seems to be unaffected by email, the only problem
> is when the postfix service is started.
>
>   I am not 100% sure it's postfix, at the time when it's started the
> system is not up yet. restarting postfix doesn't take too long - less
> than 1 second (/etc/init.d/postfix stop; /etc/init.d/postfix start).
It *probably* isn't postfix, then. Is this the last daemon to start
during boot? Even if it isn't, it's possible that a previous daemon or
the next daemon in the boot order is causing the delay. I know, for
instance, that on my machine, the USB routines will be showing
on-screen, and I'll have a delay before the last item shows... but that
this is due to my webserver taking a while to load (on average, about
10-15 seconds!). You might try going through each of the scripts in your
default runlevel to see which ones have delays. If postfix doesn't take
long to start when you do it manually, my bet is you'll find another
script in there that does.

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney