Re: A ? for all you old time linux users

On Sunday 06 October 2002 01:07, lameth wrote:
> I remember reading that most experienced linux users believe that
> programs run best if you download the source code and compile the code
> on your own machine. Is this true, do programs you compile on your own
> machine run best? Or is it just a matter of knowing the program and your
> computer a little better for having gone through the process of
> compilation?

it is the ever popular 'I built it from scratch so I know how it works'
theory.  You definately learn more and this will work if you have one or two
machines.  But try admining a server room with this method and you rapidly
grow crazy.  In fact this is part of the reason Ian created Debian 9 years
ago.

> If a person were to use the .src code for Debian packages and compiles
> them into binaries then installs the packages would you get the same
> effect?

If you know for certain that a specific program will perform better with
optimizations for your hardware there is a win from recompiling that program.
Many programs actually spend most of their time waiting on you.

I do believe in compiling my own kernel (using make-kpkg) but other than that
I just download the debs and let someone else worry about the depends.  Of
course I am one of them, so maybe I am biased.