RE: A ? for all you old time linux users

> I've compiled from source code myself. That way it would be a gradual
> transition from cdrom based installation to a natively
> compiled system.
> Is this feasible?

This does not quite answer your question, but there is this new (very
new, it's not yet released) Linux distro called SourceMage
(http://www.sourcemage.org/). It's entierly based on sources (I was
told). A friend tried it and is rather pleased with it. However he said
it takes forever to install, for obvious reasons (everything is compiled
on your machine). Once it's installed it's said to be very fast. The
downloadable .iso is 80MB, so I guess it's worth a try.

> All opinion and viewpoints are welcome and eagerly sought
> TIA

Daniel