IMAP/Exim

Currently on my system I have the following email setup:

I am a RaodRunner cable user at home but have never actually used
their email address/servers because I work for a small ISP (dial-
up only) and use ours from habit and the convenience of
maintaining my email addresses myself with remote storage if my
home machine goes down.

exim running in "smarthost" mode sending all outbound mail to the
ISP server (which requires SMTP AUTH)

fetchmail POPing everything from the remote server and dropping it
directly into /var/spool/mail/[myusername]. All remote email
addresses are equated to a single local username.

At present, I prefer Sylpheed to read my mail.

I am using POP3 to pull the mail into Sylpheed on my home machine
and I let Sylpheed handle the filtering into various folders. I
did this simply to avoid having the main /var/spool/mail/~user set
up and being messed around in by a MUA. It allows some flexibility
if I choose to switch to another MUA. I'm using solid POP3d for
that.

When I am remote on my winbox at work I use Pegasus Mail for
windows to pull and filter mail, leaving the original in my home
mail spool for later re-retrieval by Sylpheed (I archive). If I am
remote on another machine I download Putty and SSH into my home
machine to use mutt to read new mail, once again leaving it all in
the inbox to be pulled into Sylpheed.

Well, I now have an old P-166 laptop and I have woody successfully
installed. I would like to make it my "email machine" for home,
work, and travel. It has only a 2G hard drive so I don't want to
try to keep my email archives on that machine. I would like to
leave all folders and emails on the home machine. That means
setting up IMAP to manipulate the information remotely.

Sylpheed currently has all of my emails saved in MH style folders.

Has anyone else set up IMAP with Exim/fetchmail? What is the
suggested IMAP daemon? Will I be able to keep my current Sylpheed
folder set up and point an IMAP client to those folders with an
IMAP daemon installed? I know I'll either have to duplicate my
filters in whatever MUA I use remotely or set up procmail to pre-
filter but that's OK. If I use Sylpheed on the laptop I should be
able to copy the relevant config lines over from the home machine.

Any help appreciated, I've never set up or used IMAP in the past.
I'd hate to trash my mail setup.

Gerald