Re: IMAP/Exim

On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 10:10:07PM -0500, debuser wrote:
> Currently on my system I have the following email setup:
>
> Has anyone else set up IMAP with Exim/fetchmail? What is the

I am a recent convert to the IMAP way. My setup consists of Cyrus IMAP +
Exim + fetchmail.

> suggested IMAP daemon? Will I be able to keep my current Sylpheed
> folder set up and point an IMAP client to those folders with an
> IMAP daemon installed? I know I'll either have to duplicate my

Cyrus has it's own mail format. I don't use Sylpheed, but one solution
could be to simply setup the IMAP folders, figure out how to access them
using Sylpheed and simply move the email from the local folders to the
IMAP folder from within Sylpheed itself. Btw, this is a simple trick
used by many to transfer email out from Microsoft Outlook .pst files.

> filters in whatever MUA I use remotely or set up procmail to pre-
> filter but that's OK. If I use Sylpheed on the laptop I should be
> able to copy the relevant config lines over from the home machine.
>
> Any help appreciated, I've never set up or used IMAP in the past.
> I'd hate to trash my mail setup.

If you don't try to trash the default config files that come with Cyrus,
and gain an understanding of the authentication mechanisms involved, you
should be able to setup and running less than an hour. Setting up Cyrus
can be done independently of your existing email system.

-Andy