Re: Are the experimental GNOME2 debs any good?

On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 01:29:41PM -0400, David Teague wrote:
> I read the man page for apt-get, but the action of -t is NOT made clear
> there. In that man page I see the options
>
> 	-t
> 	-target release
> 	-default-release
>
> Then there is explanation that seems to apply to the last of these items,
> but not the first two. (Probably my ignorance.)
>
> Please point me to a document that will explain the behavior of apt-get,
> especially in this setting. Of course I would not reject any explanation
> you might give, but I'd like something else to read besides that terse man
> page. (After you have learned it, man pages are WONDERFUL, but not at
> first :(

I have no good pointer for you. I learned the little I know after
reading this mailing-list.

> Finally, how do I restrict action to updating my gnome to gnome2 and
> its dependencies?

If you don't specify the -t option you are not contamined by
experimental packages (because experimental has a lower priority than
other debian archives). So if you want to get only the gnome2 packages
out of experimental, you need to ask for them specifically (apt-get
install -t experimental ...) or use the gnome2 meta package (apt-cache
show gnome2) but this package is not always uptodate and you can't
decide to install less than what is decided by it.

Christophe

As every cat owner knows, nobody owns a cat.
--Ellen Perry Berkeley