Re: Are the experimental GNOME2 debs any good?

On Thu, 3 Oct 2002, christophe barbé wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 03, 2002 at 04:33:33PM -0400, christophe barbe wrote:
> > The problem with using gnome2 out of experimental is that unlike a staging
> > aera you get all the experimental stuff not related to gnome (unless you
> > tweak apt).
>
> To be clearer here, if you do:
>    apt-get -t experimental upgrade
> to update your gnome2, you also upgrade not related packages with
> experimental version.
>
> Christophe Barbé <christophe.barbe@ufies.org>

Christophe,

I read the man page for apt-get, but the action of -t is NOT made clear
there. In that man page I see the options

	-t
	-target release
	-default-release

Then there is explanation that seems to apply to the last of these items,
but not the first two. (Probably my ignorance.)

Please point me to a document that will explain the behavior of apt-get,
especially in this setting. Of course I would not reject any explanation
you might give, but I'd like something else to read besides that terse man
page. (After you have learned it, man pages are WONDERFUL, but not at
first :(

Finally, how do I restrict action to updating my gnome to gnome2 and
its dependencies?

Thanks,

David Teague
dbt@cs.wcu.edu