Re: Debian on SunBlade 100? Forget about it.....

Robert Ian Smit said:

> Could the item also be used as a foot stool, should I need to
> cowardly give up getting an OS to run on it?

I used an SGI Indy (R4k 100Mhz 32MB 1GB HD) as a monitor stand
for about 2 years. the machine runs fine, I reinstalled it on
a new 4.5GB drive recently, just too slow for use. Waiting to
be able to upgrade the ram to 256MB($400 new). How slow is
it exactly? To be TOTALLY honest, to install a fresh copy of
IRIX 6.5.3(~10-12 CDs), it took more then 12 hours to to the
full install. Much of the time was it copying data to the hd..
also looking forward to trying debian on it, I downloaded the
bootable debian install cd for indy, though I read that I may
need another kind of CDROM to read it on the indy. the indy
was free at least, so it wasn't a $3800 monitor stand :)

one of my ultra 1s is essentially a monitor stand for the moment,
waiting for the weather to cool off before i turn it on again,
same for one of my freebsd boxes(my living room has 12 computers
in it, 5 of which are turned off due to heat and/or lack of
battery backup capacity).

nate