Re: pls help or i will switch to other distro

softguy@citiz.net wrote:

Thanks again!

when i play sound file, i'm root. i run sndconfig, it says sound module not present.

as to X, i'd rather return Debian 2.2(which use X 3.3) and upgrade kernel to 2.4
Kent wrote:

Same goes for X; I'm pretty sure you can downgrade from 4.x to 3.x, but it's beyond me, so you'll do better to keep the questions on the list.

softguy@citiz.net replied:

but X 4.0 explicitly says it supports Trident 9680, why it does not work?

Kent now writes:

Remember, "supported" is not the same as "works well". Also, that means the chipset is supported, not any specific card with that chipset. If your card really is just a 1MB card, you can only get so much resolution out of it, and you'll probably have to choose between medium res and low color depth, or low res and medium color depth, and getting the right combination might take some experimentation. I think you're better off staying with the 4.x version of X; you've just got to get that right combination to get X working right.

Also, according to http://dell5.ma.utexas.edu/cgi-bin/man-cgi?XF86_SVGA+1:

     This server requires a *Screen* section  in  the  XF86Config
      file with the *Driver* entry set to *svga*.

IIRC, you had VESA specified instead of SVGA. You might want to try that. Try running "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-common" and/or "dpkg xserver-xfree86" and choose the lowest common denominator settings available; for example, try SVGA and VGA; try 640x480 res and 800x600; try 8-bt color and 16-bit color, in various combinations. The horizontal and vertical settings can make a big difference (they can also fry a monitor if set too high, esp on older monitors without out-of-range protection circuits).

Yes, I think you can get X 4.x working with your Trident, but if it's a 1MB card, it'll take just the right combination of settings, which will require experimentation. You'll learn a lot in the process, but if you're more interested in getting up and going rather than the frustration of learning, I think you'd be well served to scrounge up a better video card. If you have a LUG in the area, some of those guys probably have a 4MB card just laying around they'd give you for $5.

Kent