Re: pls help or i will switch to other distro

Thanks for your reply!

i have SB16 and Woody and upgrade kernel to 2.4 but
when i play sound file it says, can't open /dev/audio.
in early kernel(2.0 and 2.2) "make config" asks sound
card IRQ and DMA number, but 2.4 doesn't do that.
could this be a problem? below is sound part of
.config of kernel:

Kent wrote:

You'll need to be a member of the "audio" group. You can check what groups you're a member of by running "groups". If you're not in "audio", as root, run "addgroup johnjoesusername audio".
softguy@citiz.net wrote:

Thanks again!

when i play sound file, i'm root. i run sndconfig, it says sound module not present.

as to X, i'd rather return Debian 2.2(which use X 3.3) and upgrade kernel to 2.4

I've rerouted this to the list, because I never got proficient at dealing with ISA sound cards, and you're more likely to get useful help from others on the list; I'm just about at the end of my suggestions.

Nonetheless, try "modprobe sb"; you may have to feed it some IRQ/IO paramaters; I believe you'd do that with a command similar to "modprobe sb irq=5 io-0x300". If that gives you any progress, you'll need to configure with /etc/modules and /etc/modutils to make it a permanent fix, but again, that's on the periphery of my skill level, and you'll do better to keep your questions on the list until you get the problems solved.

Same goes for X; I'm pretty sure you can downgrade from 4.x to 3.x, but it's beyond me, so you'll do better to keep the questions on the list.

Sorry I'm not better able to solve your issues.

Kent