Re: help with fonts / openoffice [solved]

hi everyone,
I meant to post this to the list some time ago -- by accident I posted
it directly to don.  Hope this helps anyone having similar problems.

matt

Don,

thanks so much for your help.  This is a very satisfactory intermediate
solution (ultimately I'd like to be able to use my favorite font,
palatino -- but that can assuredly wait!).  Since I've seen a bunch of
similar questions on this list, and since the process wwas ultimately
slightly more complicated than anyone's indicated, I thought I'd just
post a step-by-step description of what I did (for other newbies).

1.  In order to get msttcorefonts to run properly, I had to *first*
    download the font files themselves.  I got them from sourceforge:

http://unc.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/corefonts/
and downloaded them to a directory path_to_dir_/fonts
the fonts are the .exe files

2. install msttcorefonts:
sudo apt-get install -t unstable msttcorefonts
(I think you need to have an unstable directory listed in
/etc/apt/source.list, like the following:
deb http://mirror.direct.ca/linux/debian unstable main non-free contrib )

when it asks you where the .exe files are, give it the name of the
directory into which you adownloaded them (e.g., path_to_file/fonts).

3.  Install the fonts in OpenOffice:
in OOo 1.0.1, at least, I couldn't find the printer admin tool from
within the normal gui.  But the help file in OO told me this other
method:

find the directory where OpenOffice is installed -- there should be a
file called spadmin.  launch it by cd'ing in, and typing

sudo ./spadmin

Click on the "fonts" button; it will ask you for the path to the fonts, which
should be:

/usr/share/fonts/truetype

"c
lick on "select all" fwhen the fonts come up, and everything should
work just great!

Thanks again for the help!@!!  this is so great...
matt