Re: VERY OT: mass installation on XBox

> Tom writes:
> > Man, and you guys call this the land of freedom?
>
> The "Housing Associations" he is talking about are private associations of
> homeowners.  He agreed to abide by their rules when he bought his house.
> --

yeah, well...it used to be the land of freedom.  It's still closer to
freedom than most places in the world but that seems to be rapidly changing.
Housing Associations *were* a good idea for *some* people, but they have
gotten *WAY* out of hand.  There are housing associations near my
neighborhood that force you to have a tree in your front yard.  How asenine
is that?  Believe it or not, if you don't have a tree in your front yard,
they can leagally take your home and property from you.  The very notion of
property ownership in the US has become, at best, a joke.  Even if you do
have it paid off, they city in which you live can come and take it from you
because you aren't "conforming" to their beautification ordinances or other
suppoed 'reasons' like that.  The county in which you live can come take it
from you because they need it for "county business."  The state in which you
live can come and take it from you for just about any reason they want.  And
as far as the federal gov was concerned it was theirs to start with.  People
say 'oh that never happens' but it happens all the time.  It just isn't an
epidemic so the masses tolerate it.  Sad indeed.  A very nice quote was sent
to me today which sort of sums up the shituation in the US right now as far
as I'm concerned:

"Beware the leader who bangs the drums of war in order to whip the citizenry
into a patriotic fervor, for patriotism is indeed a double-edged sword. It
both emboldens the blood, just as it narrows the mind. And when the drums of
war have reached a fever pitch and the blood boils with hate and the mind
has
closed, the leader will have no need in seizing the rights of the citizenry.
Rather, the citizenry, infused with fear and blinded by patriotism, will
offer up all of their rights unto the leader and gladly so. How do I know?
For this is what I have done. And I am Caesar."

- Julius Caesar