From: Kent West [mailto:westk@acu.edu]
Sent: Thursday, 3 October 2002 12:34 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org; David Pastern
Cc: softguy@citiz.net
Subject: Re: (X 4.0 problem )Re: pls help or i will switch to other
distro

John Joe wrote:

>Thanks for your reply!
>
>i have Trident 9680 and Woody and upgrade kernel to
>2.4 but still can't use X 4.0
>
>when i enter xinit, the X background seems OK, but the
>xterm is divided, irregularly. i use no window
>manager. below is XF86Config-4 and output of xinit:
>
>(please reply to softguy@citiz.net because i will
>leave the list soon.)

Let me encourage you to use "startx" rather than "xinit".

The divided xterm indicates a problem with your card/resolution
settings. I'm not familiar with the Trident 9680, but a quick google
indicates it's a PCI card with 2MB max RAM, which means yours probably
only has 1MB. I've had problems with lower-RAM cards getting X working;
sometimes ya just gotta hold your mouth just right . . . .

Once in X, you might try pressing Ctrl-Alt-PlusOnTheKeypad or
Ctrtl-Alt-MinusOnTheKeypad to cycle through the defined resolutions.
But, if you only have a 1MB card, I'd recommend you scrounge up a 4MB
card or so (Ebay, local computer store's dumpster, etc).

Kent