Samba w/LDAP

I'm currently trying to compile Samba to work with LDAP. I found a HOWTO by a Olivier Lemaire, which provides some specifics for compiling Samba with LDAP support for Woody. However, not everything is so straight forward. Prior to going to the next step, could someone tell me if this is right?

This HOWTO uses Samba v. 2.2.4-1, however the stable version available is 2.2.3a-6. This IS the version I am using. This may, therefore, account for some discrepancies.

According to this HOWTO, I need to edit the /rules/ file to read:

           [ -f source/Makefile ] || (cd source && ./configure \
               --host=$(DEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE) \
               --build=$(DEB_BUILD_GNU_TYPE) \
               --with-fhs \
               --prefix=/usr \
               --sysconfdir=/etc \
               --with-privatedir=/etc/samba \
               --localstatedir=/var \
               --with-netatalk \
               --with-smbmount \
               --with-pam \
               --with-syslog \
               --with-sambabook \
               --with-utmp \
               --with-readline \
               --with-libsmbclient \
               --with-winbind \
               --with-msdfs \
               --with-automount \
               --with-acl-support \
               --with-profile \
               --disable-static \
               --with-ldapsam)

and I need to comment out the following lines:

# install -m 0644 source/nsswitch/pam_winbind.so $(DESTDIR)/lib/security/
#       cp debian/samba.pamd $(DESTDIR)/etc/pam.d/samba

One line that it stated I should comment out follows, but I found no such line:

mv $(DESTDIR)/usr/bin/pam_smbpass.so $(DESTDIR)/lib/security/

I should also remove the only line of text in /libpam-smbpass.files

/I should remove the line for pam in the file /samba-common.conffiles/. According to the HOWTO this is the only line of text in this file, but I have one other line of text in the file which I left.

Finally, I should remove lines of text in /winbind.files/, but I don't have such a file.

After all this I'm supposed to build the package.

Additional questions:
Prior to building, shouldn't I have OpenLDAP installed?
Also, in the instructions, they talk about being sure you have a /samba.schema/ file copied over to an LDAP directory, but I have no such file. Or will that file be available after building and installing the new Samba compile.