Re: On Learning Debian

On Wed, 2 Oct 2002, Mark Seven Smith wrote:

> There is so much to learn!

That is true, and also explains why learning Debian can be a bit
overwhelming at times.  It took me a about a year before I started to
really feel comfortable with it.

I have a few tips for you:

* Become comfortable at understanding Bourne shell scripts.  A lot of the
  Debian system is glued together with shell scripts, and you can learn a
  lot about the behaviour of Debian by reading them.  For example, if you
  want to understand how XFree86 is "Debianised", then poke around in
  /etc/X11/ and try to understand what's going on there.

* Patience.  Debian is big and complex and has been put together by lots
  of very smart people over a period of about ten years.  Don't expect
  that one person can easily understand it all.

* Read the Debian policy manual.  It will fill in a lot of the gaps.

Andrew.