On Learning Debian

I wish to really master Debian. I've run Red Hat and SuSE; but I have switched to Debian, because I have always wanted it--and I don't like to have everything done for me, all my choices made for me, the way the two mentioned distros do. The thing is, having run those distros in the past, didn't really leave me prepared for a "real" Linux distribution like Debian.

Now, I have printed out the Debian FAQ, and the Debian Reference and Quick Reference, and I am sort of having trouble geting started. There is so much to learn!

What is the suggested course to follow, to learn? I have "Running Linux", but I can't really get any new books this month, and my health makes it difficult to read at the computer for long periods of time (which is why I made the printouts). I've made other printouts as well (the apt-get HOWTO, Debian installation manual, the Debian Kernel HOWTO, some other things, but where to start?)

Any ideas, suggestions, what helped for you, etc. etc. would be appreciated.

One thing I need to do, is to re-build my kernel so that I can use the experimental USB patch for USB support for my Sharp Zaurus--and in reading a recent thread started by a guy who has a SubWiki page on building the Debian kernel, has left me totally confused!

TIA,

--
Mark Seven Smith:  |  markvii  |  AKA: Pampaluz
Registered Linux User #122264, Debian GNU/Linux