Re: Kde or gnome

> So, before I do something irreversable, which is
the preferred desktop ?

irreversable <--  you need to get used to not
using this word when talking about gnu/linux
distro's  :-)

> Some peolle seem not to like kde (3) and other
seems to love it.

i don't really care for either of them  :-)

> Any advice please ?

your best bet is to install 3 or 4 desktops. play
with them all. i find that learning at least 2 of
them solid will keep your interest long enough to
realize that you're playing with some serious
power. both kde and gnome are very snazzy..  each
comes with it's own brand of config tools and
desktop goodies. which one is better? you decide..
that's half the fun. if you want serious eye candy
with crazy amounts of configs, i would say kde. if
you want sort of plain-but-powerful, i would say
go with gnome (although, beware of 'nautilus' -
great app but kind of a resource hog IMO).

for fun, install the following and try them out
(unless of course, space on your hd is an issue):

kde
gnome
fluxbox
windowmaker

the latter two being my absolute favorites. play
with them all and see what you like.. there's like
a million x-tops out there. but these will give
you a great start!

happy hacking and enjoy! remember, it's not about
'what's best'..  it's about CHOICE. to me, that
means more than any eye candy will ever deliver.

good luck in your quest!

-jeff