Re: Viewing avi files

bob parker wrote:

On Thu, 3 Oct 2002 02:13, you wrote:
Using Woody.
Please advise what program to view avi files
Install mplayer :)
here : http://mplayer.nmeos.net/

cya
Thanks, I downloaded the K6 binary for my k7 box and installed just fine.
When I start Mplayer it just thrashes around for a while and then dies.
Any clues?
regards
Bob

You should really consider installing mplayer from source.
There are tons of things that are determined during compilation
(optimization for cpu, etc...).
It's really not as bad as it used to be, actually for a program of it's
size it is incredibly easy (I've installed emacs, gcc, Xfree86 from source and
compiled kernels, and IMHO this is easier).

Simply get the src tar.bz2 file, the windows dll tar.bz2, and make sure
that bzip2 is installed (if not apt-get install bz2).
Then simply do:
tar -xjvf Mplayer-XX.tar.bz2
tar -xjvf w32-codes-XX.tar.bz2
become root (either with su, or login in as root)
mv w32-codec-XX/ /usr/lib/win32
logout from root
cd Mplayer-XX/
./configure
(this will take a minute or two,
just look which options are avaiable
if anything you want is missing
simply get the relevant debian dev packages
for example for ogg vorbis support
get vorbis-dev and ogg-dev)
make
(this will take a while, hopefully this works... always has for me)
then become root and
make install

This will get everything going except the GUI and the subtitle fonts...
Avi files, DVDs, etc will work just fine.

when running mplayer you can specify video and audio output with -vo and -ao options
to get a list of them run
mplayer -vo help
mplayer -ao help

if you always use xv output you could put
vo=xv
in your ~/.mplayer/config file

That should be about it.

Hope that helps,